Ahungalla is 93 km away from Colombo (Southern Expy) also it will take approximately 2 hours drive time. It is one of the specific beaches in Sri Lanka. One can engage in various activities. It is also well known for its multitude of turtles that swim on the coast. All along the street-side you will witness vendors who sell from anything to everything such as fruits, vegetables and intricate masks.
What to do/see in & around Ahungalla,
• “Brief” Garden- It was Bevis Bawa, brother of Geoffrey Bawa, who converted this former rubber plantation into a wonderful landscaped garden.
• Whale watching- Mirissa is one of best places to see whales in the world. You can see number of Blue whales, Sperm whales & dolphins in a few nautical miles off the Mirissa area.
• Madu Ganga river safari- while on tour you can see a variety of species of endemic. It is home to about 303 species of plants and 248 species of vertebrate animals.
• Ambalangoda masks- the traditional masks are carved from light Balsa like Kaduru wood. Masks are used for several purposes in Sri Lanka such as featuring in traditional dance, drama and comedies, and in large pageants and processions, they are also used in ceremonies to exorcise demons or cure illnesses.
• Hot air balloon trip- optional